Always Amazing at Amapondo
Amapondo is named after the proud Pondo people, rich in cultural heritage & known for their hospitality. The welcoming staff at Amapondo will welcome you with sunshine smiles, and make you fell right at home. Surrounded by lush green vegetation, the backpackers is just 4 minutes walk to a stretch of sublime sun-kissed beach with herds of frolicking Nguni cows.
Suggested things to do while you are there:
- Bululo Waterfall, an adventurous hike with an exciting 11m jump.
- Isinuka Sulphur Mud Caves are slippery muddy fun.
- Silaka Nature Reserve offers a stunning coastal walk, the start of the famous 5-day Wild Coast hike. You’re likely to see dolphins, whales, monkeys & a variety of marine birds.
- Take a trip down the mighty Umzimvubu River on a booze cruise, or an ocean experience with Offshore Africa.
- Enjoy sundowners with jaw-dropping scenery on Mount Thesiger 385m high.
Amapondo’s accommodation caters to all budgets (part rustic, partly Pondo-Posh) with African-themed rooms. Choose a tasty meal from the a la carte menu or DIY braai (barbeque). They also have a well-stocked communal kitchen.
Amapondo is an award-winning backpackers establishment, and for good reason! Winner of Best of The Best Backpackers at the National Lilizela Tourism Awards 2016 Provincial Winner 2014 & 2017.
Amenities and creature comforts include Wi-Fi, Pool & Table Tennis and amazing views!
In-house activities include Poker Nights, Trivial Pursuit and Quiz Nights.
For those interested in becoming involved with locals: Volunteer for the Amapondo Children’s Project! Teach in a rural school or get involved in one of our backpacker community projects.
How to get here:
Transport to Amapondo available at the Mzansi Experience stop in Mthatha. Please arrange with us a day in advance to ensure shuttle availability.
Rooms Types Available:
- Double rooms
- Family rooms