Sani Lodge Backpackers
Unwind at a Peaceful Country Haven
Situated right on the famous Sani Pass, bordering directly onto the World Heritage Site and just 16 kilometres from the border post with Lesotho, Sani Lodge is a peaceful country haven and Responsible Tourism destination with a laid back atmosphere, where guests can simply kick off their shoes and wholly unwind. Sani Lodge Backpackers is Fair Trade Certified and 4-star graded. It is also the home of Drakensberg Adventures started in 1997, offering 24 different tours in Land Rovers, as well as tailor-made specials tours on request.
You will be welcomed by Ambassadors who are truly proudly South African. Once you are here, you will feel the layers of stress peeling away as you relax and immerse yourself in the natural surrounds. This place restores your soul and upon departure, you will feel mentally and physically rejuvenated. You staying here offers the opportunity of a lifetime to genuinely ‘Give Back to Society’ in ways you would never have imagined. Even one bed-night here directly supports local employment of people who previously had no skills or jobs.
Each staff member and stake holder has family who depend on them for income and thus your stay does make a significant difference to the lives of people who need it most.
Russell and Simone Suchet started the Lodge in 1992 and are both dedicated to the conservation of the environment, particularly the wilderness, to wildlife, to sustainable partnerships in tourism with stakeholders therein creating self-employment and social upliftment in impoverished regions, respect and preservation of people 's cultural identities in Lesotho, Kwazulu Natal and the Khomani Bushmen in Kgalagadi Transfontier Park.
Relax at “One of the Best Backpackers away from the big towns in South Africa" (SA Handbook) where you can:
- hike into the Wilderness is a must – we are at the start of the famous 5 day Giant’s Cup Trail
- mountain bike up the Sani Pass
- be pampered by a certified massage therapist
- breathe in pure mountain air and drink mountain spring water,
- take a dip in the salt water swimming pool,
- soak up sunshine next to invigorating mountain pools only half an hour hike away,
- enjoy sundowners on the wooden deck veranda facing the awesome mountain range bordering onto Lesotho or on the 2.5km nature trail,
- socialise around the braai facility,
- enjoy wholesome meals in the on-site restaurant ,
- curl up in front of a log fire in the cosy common room in winter,
- Visit our Art gallery, African Alps Barn Pub and book swop library
Special annual events on the calender include:
- Mountain biking; Sani to C, Johannesburg to C, Sani Dragon .
- Running: Sani Stagger Running Marathon, Giants Cup Trail Run.
- Walking: Wild Flower walk
Rooms Types Available:
- Single rooms
- Double rooms
- 4 sleeper Dorms
- Group Facility 4/5 sleeper dorms
- 3 self-catering cottages